Protecting your children from mould in toys and bottles

Avoid mould in children's products

Molds are microscopic fungi that thrive in moist environments. They quickly form spores, which can be harmful to breathe in, and in some cases cause serious health problems. The cause of mold formation is often that moisture is not allowed to dry, creating an ideal environment for molds to grow and thrive.

Mold in children's products is of particular concern because children have more sensitive immune systems than adults. Even if the child does not have direct access to the mold-infested surface, such as behind a water bottle seal or inside a bathing duck, the mold spores can still be spread in the air and inhaled by the child.

Children's products such as bath toys and water bottles can be particularly difficult to detect and clean, so it is particularly important to keep these products clean and dry to minimize the risk of mould growth. Furthermore, not only can mold be harmful to a child's health, but it can also break down and damage the products themselves, making them unsafe to use.

Therefore, it is important to be aware of where and how mold can form, and to take steps to prevent it, not only to protect a child's health, but also to extend the life of their toys and other products.

Where can mold form?

Mold can basically grow anywhere, including in a variety of children's products, especially those used in or with liquids.

Bathing toys: such as bathing ducks, fish, foam toys, water guns and really any kind of toy used in the bath that has a design that allows water to enter, such as holes, cracks, etc. Many of these products are unfortunately not detachable or, for example, a bathing duck with a very small hole on the bottom can be difficult to reach the inside. After use, it is good to try to dry and air-dry as best as possible, but it is recommended to be replaced from time to time.

Water bottles: especially those with complex rubber gaskets. Water bottles contain water and also need to be washed at regular intervals, this means that the liquid can find its way into and behind every part of the bottle such as behind gaskets, gaps and in straws Loosen all parts at regular intervals, dry and let air dry if possible remove gaskets and other removable parts.

Baby bottles: As with water bottles, liquid can hide here and there, especially behind gaskets. Unscrew all parts and leave the bottle unscrewed when not in use.

Food containers: Exactly the same concept applies to food containers of all kinds as they are often in contact with liquids.

Shower sponges: These damp items are often used in a hot and humid environment, creating perfect conditions for mold to grow. It is important to replace shower sponges regularly and let them dry completely between uses to prevent mold growth.

Why Is Mold Harmful?

Mold is not only unpleasant to look at; it can also be harmful. Inhaling mold spores can lead to allergies and respiratory problems, especially in young children who have more sensitive immune systems.

How do you prevent mold?

Prevention is the key to protecting your child from the harmful effects of mold. Here are some steps you can follow:
1. Clean Regularly: Wash toys and bottles thoroughly with warm water and mild soap.
2. Dry Completely: Make sure all items are completely dry before storing them.
3. Avoid Complex Designs: Choose toys and bottles with simpler designs that are easy to clean.
4. Replace Old Products: If you notice signs of mold, replace the product immediately.

Life Hack

A clever trick to prevent mold in bath toys, such as bath ducks and the like that have a small hole in the bottom, is to plug the hole completely. In fact, a hole is not actually needed for the toy to float. This allows you to extend the life of the toy significantly. This can be done with some kind of glue or similar, but it is extremely important that you check that it is something that is water resistant and does not dissolve in the water, and depending on the material of the toy, plastic, silicone or other.


Mold in children's products is a problem that can be addressed with the right knowledge and care. By following these simple steps, you can create a safer and healthier environment for your child. Visit our website for more information on child safety and quality products designed to prevent mold growth.